Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Decoupage Easter eggs for children

It's a little bit strange to write about Easter themes, when I see all this snow outside. Somehow it seems more appropriate to write about Christmas activities . :)


                                                                            ***


For some time now, I've been collecting plastic eggs and trying to figure out what to do with them, how to make them more appealing. And then I saw this idea by Red Ted Art and decided to try something similar.

We started by making our own white glue. It seems as if more and more every day you can hear about the harmfulness of certain chemicals, being a part of even some children products, so I strongly believe the homemade version is much, much safer. In 5 cups of boiling water I added a mixture of 3 cups of flour and 1 cup of water and mixed it until it was smooth, dense and evenly distributed, with no lumps. I did not even wait for it to cool down, we immediately started using it. Holds surprisingly well, the smell is not sharp, can last for weeks in the fridge and it is really easy to clean.

We used advertising leaflets as a decorative material - we cut Easter motifs and used a brush to apply some white glue to plastic eggs. Our fingers were of a great help in smoothing the surface. Piece by piece, after about an hour, we got these beautiful, colourful Easter eggs:






We didn't strive for perfection and we did not smooth each wrinkle, because after all, these are children's crafts.




It is a great activity, because children can participate all the time, and in the end you get a really nice Easter decoration.





I wish you peaceful, pleasant, tasty and creative Easter holidays! And a lot of successfully dyed eggs, of course!





PIN MEme
Feeding Big





Glitter, Glue & Paint












14 comments:

  1. Those are really adorable! Maybe I'll try and spice up my usual PAAS egg dying this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty.
    Thank you for sharing with us at "In and out of the Kitchen"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really really cute!

    Hope you stop by the blog this month. It's Spring Cleaning time and we have a Linky Hop for it. Hop to it...and link up your home organization blog post now...! Hop will last through the whole month of April to give you time to tackle a drawer. the linen closet, the pantry...anything!!! Give it a shot and link up! Link up here: http://bit.ly/XDWic2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! My kids are 14-22 so they could totally run with this all on their own. I think we'll give this a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Glad you like it and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I've never made my own glue. I think it seems like a great idea as I agree with you in trying to reduce the number of chemicals that we and our children come in contact with. The eggs turned out great!
    Thanks so much for sharing at my Real Family Fun link party.
    Hope to see you again next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! I'll have to save this for next year, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party. I hope you come visit & link again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! ...and all very unique.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...