Thursday, January 10, 2013

Why is it cool to represent maternity as something negative?


I accidentally ran into this video, which is actually a commercial for the Fiat 500L. I suggest you first look at the video, then read on.



I have to agree that there are plenty of elements which are really funny (I especially like the part about three months in pajamas, I guess, because I too had spent my first three months of motherhood dressed in that way). But what I do not like is a trend of representing motherhood in a negative way. As if it's cool to name the kids as brats, they are a pain in the ass or a disturbance in a restaurant or at the beach, motherhood is just another obligation, you have children because it's "proper to do so" blablablabla .....

Like life itself, motherhood is both bitter and sweet at the same time the, a worry and a joy, but a good organization is the key issue. A lot depends on whether a person is mature before he/she has children, which, unfortunately, many are not, and then starts the whole story with the children as a disturbance.

Yeah, it's not easy to put yourself in another place, it is not easy to accept that you don't have much free time as you had before, but with little effort and some good will (if not by pure instinct), everything is possible. Because a bad parent and child relationship can not be repaired even by a lawsuit, as it is done in China .

P. S. I don't understand how this car is large enough for three children. But, who am I to judge about this, since I'm "a conservative who drives a VW," as I was once etiquetted by my former colleagues.



P.S. Check the linky parties I'm participating in:

Miss Information

9 comments:

  1. Having children is amazing and difficult at times. Kids know how to push your buttons but it is our job to make them the best people we can. To teach them and love them no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I had in mind when writing this post.

      Delete
  2. This is what I've called Whiny Mom Syndrome. I think we hear about the negatives because moms are human, want to vent. But I agree with you that motherhood is more good than bad and is too often portrayed like this life-shattering, awful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I like the name for the Syndrome.
      I am often told I describe things nicer than they truly are (maybe people are mislead by the name of my blog, but check here http://stepfordska-supruga-en.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html for the truly meaning of it).

      Sometimes I really can't help myself to be a truly optimistic person, and always pointing out the positive, rather than negative aspects of all things, including motherhood.

      Delete
  3. While dressed up with a nice beat at a few funny lyrics, the video ONLY focuses on the so-called down side of motherhood when the up-sides and the joys totally outweighs the difficult time. Love your site. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You welcome!
      I studied journalism, so I always try to see the both sides of the story and I am a bit annoyed (enough to write a blog post about it) how the video only focuses on the one side.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean...I think the world of "mom blogger" has allowed the venting to sometimes get out of hand...in the end, though, I am glad we have more honesty and less pretending everything is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of people drive small cars,sedans even that are much smaller than this, with three children - out of necessity. It works, car seats fit, and everyone stays safe. A third row isn't strictly necessary. But anyway!

    I don't get the nastiness toward motherhood, though. I really don't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The video is pretty funny, and there is some truth in it, though exaggerated for entertainment's sake. This is why I blog. Not to present the shiny side of motherhood, or bitch about the negatives. I blog to share it all, the hard and the easy. The ugly and the beautiful. It's a privilege, to be real.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...