Monday, October 29, 2012

DIY - A texture board and a picturebook

A rainy day always requires some new activities for children who otherwise quickly get bored. My little girls have recently been sick, and they are still recovering, so it is really not wise for us to go singing in the rain and jumping on the muddy puddles as our favorite TV character does . I've noticed they were also bored with the picture books we already have (which reminds me I haven't been rotating toys for a while).

It is Sunday, meaning our great library, in which we could borrow a bunch of new picture books, is closed, so we decided to create our own picture books. We had pretty much fun making them, and later by reading what we have created.

We started with a piece of cardboard on which we pasted pieces of fabrics in different colors, shapes and textures - from soft and smooth to rough and hard. Here is the result, on the photo below. If you decide to do such a thing, I recommend tighter fabrics because the thin ones tend to be transparent and you can see the glue marks, which in the end does not look very nice, as you may notice on the photo.



A long, twisted piece of cardboard which a hamster-mom, (and that would be me :) usually has in stock, was used for the educational picture book shown on the photos below. We have pasted various shapes on one side, and animals and plants on the other, according to what we found in the "old rags bag".




I was going through an old piles of magazines, thinking of how I could use them and stumbled upon a story about the cute little fellows, from The Hundred Acre Wood. So, I've simply cut out the two pages with the story and pasted them inside of the old folder. My girls and I have even "designed the cover", specifically for this occasion.



 My girls really liked what we have created, so I barely caught the time to photograph our work, since they were playing with it the entire afternoon.  


P.S. Of course I had to share the fun on these great linky parties - click on the buttons below and see some other awesome bloggers' ideas! 



PIN MEmeA Marvelous Mess






Kid Lit Blog Hop

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I love the idea of touching the pictures and I love Pooh! Thanks for linking up to the Play Based Learning Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dying to do something like this for the kids in my office. I work as a play therapist for kids with Autism, Asperger's, and ADHD. A sensory book like this is such a great idea. I hadn't found a good way to do it yet. I'll have to try this!

    Thanks for linking up to the Play to Learn Hop. We'll be hosting again for more play based learning posts on the first Saturday of March (the 2nd of March). See you then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. A great idea, if only I had fabric in the house lol, going to have to rectify that in the near future when toddler starts wanting to create. Thanks for linking it in to the Kid Lit Blog Hop, cheers Julie Grasso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we used - old bibs and outgrown clothes! A great way to recycle!

      Delete
  4. That's a clever idea! We will definitely try this out :)
    -Reshama
    www.stackingbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...